Saturday, May 23, 2009

Attack of the Yarn Pixies!

I don't know what else it could have been. Seriously. I'm freaking out just a little. Here's the deal:

I cast on for my FrankenSilvia two days ago. All was well. Had a migraine yesterday, in the course of which the whole mess of it, ball of yarn and inch or so of yarn, fell on the floor twice, and were picked up quickly. No knitting was done: I could barely have my eyes open, much less focus on laceweight yarn.

So today here I am, all better, both eyes open again, no stabbing pain, yay, and I'm knitting along, and I discover a break in the yarn. Brand new yarn, I might add, that had no breaks in it when I wound it up not so long ago. Now, ok, that wouldn't have made me think I had lost my mind. What's got me thinking I've lost my mind is that the broken yarn ends were tied together. Ok, weird, thought I, maybe this happened during the bit when the ball of yarn rolled under the chair? Weird, and statistically sketchy, but ok.

So then I'm knitting along some more, and I discover ANOTHER break, tied together the exact same way.

At this point I'm left with four options:

1. I did this myself, and don't remember it at all
2. Someone was in my room, playing with my yarn
3. A moth or other yarn-eating bug that also feels remorse and has the ability to tie knots
4. Yarn pixies

Frankly, all of these strike me as HIGHLY UNLIKELY.

I say to you, my friends, WTF?

If I find any more knots, I am going to cry, because first of all, I don't want this shawl to have a whole bunch of splices, and second, I really don't like feeling like I've lost my mind.

No comments: