Thursday, March 4, 2010

I bet you think this will be about mittens!

But it's not. I don't seem to have any colors that would be awesome with my pink coat, so pink-coat-matching-mittens will probably have to wait until next year. (And you watch, my mother will probably decide I need a new coat as my birthday present, and give me something that matches all my other mittens . . . anyway.)

So this is not about mittens. This is about me knitting lace! I have some grey Knit Picks Gloss Lace, thanks to the awesome Mary T. of the Knitting on Top of the World Knit-a-Thon. I knew the title of a mysterious childhood knitting book, and she sent some yarn to thank me. How did she know that's just what I would like??? ;)

And a couple of days ago I was all I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO KNIT! And then I was all "I haven't done any lace in a while," and so now I am making an Oiseau de Feu scarf. Well, stole, probably. I've made it wider, because I have a couple of narrow lace scarves and I don't wear them as much as I wear the wider ones.

I love the pattern so far. The wrapped stitches are a bit of a pain in the rear--I haven't found a non-awkward way to do them--but they look awesome, so I'll forgive them. The rest of it is an easy-to-read good time. I don't actually know if I have enough yarn, due to the whole 'widening' thing, but what would be the fun of knitting with no suspense?

I was going to wait to make this post until I took pictures, but then I was like, "That could be next year, the way I go!" so here we are. They would just be the blobby sort of "Look! Unblocked lace!" pictures that you can't really tell much from anyway, so it's not like you're missing out.

No comments: