Saturday, March 27, 2010

laughing at myself.

Well, after making so many almost-exactly-to-pattern projects post-Christmas, I am back in full winging it form! Mostly. I mean, I have a pattern for a v-neck cardigan, and I'm following that for the v-neck shaping, but the yarn and needles and gauge aren't anything like the same, and Lord only knows what will happen after I finish the yoke.

One idea that is simmering is to edge the whole thing in contrasting applied i-cord. That is what has led to today's comedy. The yarn I'm using is a sort of heathered navy blue that was once a rather nice store-bought tank top that I just wasn't wearing anymore. So I was online looking for some yarn that might work for the edging, but a lot of the less pricey lace weight--like Knit Picks--is much thicker than the yarn I have. And then I thought, well, it's not like I'll need a lot of the contrasting yarn--I can probably just go to a thrift store and look for a color I like and recycle that sweater. Or ask my friends if they've got any old green or purple sweaters they don't want. I'm rather bummed that I don't have anything. I mean, give me a couple of years, but I'd like to wear this cardigan this spring.

So yeah, after my road trip this week, there may indeed be hilarious yarn shopping at the thrift store.

No comments: