Monday, April 25, 2011

check this out!

Get ready, friends, for I have several non-stripey things to show you this week! (Don't worry, I'll probably have to have a Stripe Day soon, because I've got plenty, but first, some other stuff.)

Remember that grey laceweight yarn I did my Vernal Equinox Shawl out of? It used to be a Gap turtleneck? I had a goodly amount left, even after the shawl, and let's face it, I love grey knitwear, but grey is not my best color. I really don't need two grey shawls, you know? So I dyed it green!



This was my first foray into the world of dying. I used good ol' Paas, because there was some in the cupboard left over from last Easter. It turned out a nice uneven mossy green, which was kind of hard to photograph, but you get the general idea from these pictures. I think next time I will remember to stir the yarn a bit when it's in the pot, but I think the erratic dye job will actually look really nice when it's knit up.



And yeah, that's right, I said 'next time.' I've done my best not to get started with any dying or spinning or any of that, because the last thing I need is another hobby or something else to spend money on, but it's kind of fun to make yarn be the color you want it to be. I've got some white yarn left over from my mom's Christmas sweater, and I might have to turn it some kind of orange. Just because you can never have too much orange yarn.

Next up (oooh, a teaser!) we will have a big red hat made out of ribbon yarn. I kind of love it.

No comments: