Sunday, April 5, 2009

a new endeavor

So guess what, today I'm learning how to knit socks toe-up.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I can see where it might be nice if you're a person who does Magic Loop (I've tried it but I don't like it) or two circulars (I can't afford to buy two circulars of the same size, sorry, not when there are so many sizes of needle I don't have) but getting a sock started toe-up on double points is a bit of a pain in the rear. Before today, I've never felt that knitting on four needles is like wrestling a porcupine, but getting that toe started was a bit of a battle.

I can see where this would be a useful way to start if you were going to design something on the fly: I think it would be much easier to get the pattern set on the instep/foot and then apply it to the cuff than the other way around. I always get into trouble when I try to improvise the other way around.

I'm also worried that I will get all the fun bits done first, and lose interest in the cuff. (We all know about my slightly twisted and unhealthy love for heels. I could turn heels all day and not get bored. Such good times.) I'm a little sad that I'm done with the toe already, but it does look nice and neat hanging there.

And, ooh, I just thought of this, it'll LOOK like a sock, so maybe toe-up cuts down on people asking "What are you knitting?"

(Did I tell y'all that I nearly stabbed someone in the eye this summer for making a stupid comment when asking what I was knitting? I'll share that story tomorrow.)

But yeah. Back to my wee toe-up sock, though I'm out of episodes of Friday Night Lights to keep me company, which is a total bummer. That show's like crack, especially if you've lived in a small town in Texas.

No comments: