Friday, August 28, 2009

the attention span of a chicken on crack.

Yeah, so I couldn't figure out a pattern I liked for Mr Black Shawl, so it's on the back burner. And by 'the back burner' I mean there's a ball of recycled merino sitting on my desk staring at me. I'll probably turn it into a Percy Shawl, skipping the middle chart. I like the first one ok, I just don't love it madly.

Anyway, I have instead turned to making a (sort of) Astrid tunic-thing. It's 'sort of' because I'm not making the bottom that wide, and I will probably not do the bell-ish cuffs. I cast on the 70 stitches I wanted for the bust and am just knitting straight up.

As for the yarn, I'm using another recycled sweater. It's a beige (mostly) silk and wool blend that has been through the washer and dryer a lot (originally from Fashion Bug) and is a little bit felted, and has a great sort of distressed look to it. I was a little pissed that the front halves of it had been cut for the zipper, not knit up separately, but it had cables in its last incarnation and was quite oversized, so I think the back and sleeves will give me more than enough yarn for a back, sleeves, and a front. And maybe the hood. I don't know: my jury is still out on the hood.

I have been wanting a very loose-knit, baggy, faux-worn sweater for ages, so I'm very excited about this. Even though I kind of feel like I'm knitting the equivalent of those jeans you buy that already have holes in the knees.

No comments: