Saturday, October 27, 2007

the knitter's eternal lament.

I've just started a new show, and of course I sit around knitting in rehearsal. Duh. Keeps me out of trouble. However, if one more person asks me to knit something for them I will not be held responsible for my actions.

First of all, it takes a long time.
Second, nice yarn tends to be pricey, and I would really rather not work with acrylic.
Third, I have plenty of stuff already lined up to knit, stuff I want to work on.
Fourth, if I'm going to court carpal tunnel, it's going to be for my own reasons.
Fifth, if people were to actually pay what my time and fingers are worth, they'd be forking over something like $50 for a scarf or hat.
Sixth, no one ever offers to barter me awesome stuff in exchange. Learn to make shoes or something, people.

I do, occasionally, make stuff for people. As, you know, gifts. Because I like them. Or because they're awesome at their job. (Or because I made something just to try it, or something for myself that doesn't work on me but might be ok on this other person.) I am not, however, your knitting monkey. Learn to do it yourself. It's really not that hard. If I can do it, so can you.

No comments: